Start your study adventure in Belgium. Good news! Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships are currently open. In this article we will explain in detail about this scholarship, its benefits and step by step application process.
Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships 2023-2024 are fully funded masters scholarships for international students. This scholarship provides a grant of € 8200 plus a tuition fee waiver per academic year.
In Flanders and Brussels, the Government of Flanders grants scholarships to outstanding candidates for Masters programs. The program aims to promote Flanders and Brussels as a top destination for study.
All Flemish universities, Schools of Arts, and the Antwerp Maritime Academy will accept applications. It’s estimated that the Master Mind Scholarships 2023-2024 can benefit 30 international students. Could not apply directly to students. Flemish host institutions must submit applications.
- Level of Study: Masters
- Institution(s): See Host Institutions below
- Study in: Belgium
- Opportunity Focus Areas: Eligible Masters Degree Programs offered at participating Flemish Institutions except preparatory programs; bridging programs; or distance learning
- Program Period: Two years.
- Deadline: Before April 28, 2023 (annual)
- KU Leuven / University of Leuven
- University of Antwerp
- Ghent University
- Hasselt University
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel
University colleges (Arts and Nautical Sciences)
Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships provide the recipients with the following awards:
- A Master Mind Scholarship includes a grant of € 8200 + a tuition fee waiver per academic year (60 ECTS).
- Master Mind Scholarship holders only pay an administrative enrollment fee. The grant is paid in installments and covers accommodation costs, insurances and a significant amount of their living expenses.
Eligibility Criteria for Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships
To be eligible for Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships, you must fulfill the following criteria:
The student has a good knowledge of the English language:
- an overall band score of minimum 7.0 on the IELTS test;
- a minimum total score of 94 on a TOEFL test;
- a C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
- or a similar result in another official language test (recognized by the Host
Students who apply for a Master program at a School of Arts have at least
- an overall band score of minimum 6.5 on the IELTS test;
- a minimum total score of 90 on the TOEFL test;
- a B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
- or a similar result in another official English language test (recognized by the Host
Eligible Countries: All World Countries.
- The applicant applies to take up a Master degree program at a higher education institution in Flanders (hereafter ‘Host institution’).
- The applicant should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential: The student has a Grade Point Average of 3.5 out of 4.0:
- The Host institution also performs an academic check of the student’s file. The student has to be accepted by the Host institution to be able to receive the scholarship. Even if the Host institution’s decision to accept the student is taken after the selection of the Master Mind Scholarships program, this criterion applies.
- All nationalities can apply. The previous degree obtained should be from a higher education institution located outside Flanders. International students who have been on credit mobility in a hosting Flemish higher education institution are still eligible for a Master Mind Scholarship.
- Students who are already enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution cannot apply. The only exception is made for international students who, at the moment of their application in Spring 2024, are already enrolled in a specific preparatory program in order to start a master program in September 2023.
- Student mobility during the master program is allowed. However, at least half of the credits of the master program must be obtained at the Flemish Host institution.
How to Apply for Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships?
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for Master Mind Scholarships:
(1) Check if you are eligible to apply and if the Flemish institution of your choice participates in the Master Mind Scholarships. The applicant submits his/her application to the Host institution. Internal deadlines set by the Host institution may differ (see section 6. Timing)
(2) The Host institution accepts the application of the candidate.
(3) The Host institution starts the application procedure for the Master Mind scholarship by creating the candidate’s application file in the Mobility-Online tool.
(4) The applicant receives an email generated by the Mobility-Online tool notifying him/her of being pre selected for a Master Mind scholarship.
(5) The applicant registers in the Mobility-Online tool and completes his/her application file in the Mobility-Online tool before the deadline.
Documents to be uploaded:
- Passport photo
- International passport or national ID
- Transcript of records; if written in another language than Dutch, French, German or English, a certified translation must be enclosed.
- English language test results or Letter of exemption provided by the Host university
- Letter of motivation written in English
- Two letters of recommendation from professors of your (previous) Home university, University of Applied sciences, School of Arts or recent employer written in English.
- Copy of acquired diploma(s); if written in another language than Dutch, French, German or
English, a certified translation must be enclosed.
- Three reasons of motivation for submission (at least 150 words) of the candidate’s application
formulated in English by the Host institution; format: text box in the application form or a
(6) The Host institution validates and submits the completed application file in the Mobility Online tool before the deadline of midnight 30th April 2021 GMT+1. Applications validated submitted after midnight 30th April 2021 GMT+1 will not be accepted.
It is important to read the Master Mind Scholarship Guidelines and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
To know more about Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships, please visit the official websites: