If you are looking for an internship in Japan, then the OIST Internship is a great opportunity for you. Applications for this internship are currently open. OIST stands for the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology. In this article, we will explain in detail about this internship, its benefits, and the step-by-step application process.
OIST Internship 2024 is open to international students. The duration of the internship is typically from 2 to 6 months. This Internship will provide an allowance of JPY 2,400/Day, Commuting Allowance, Travel Expenses, Accommodation, and Visa Support.
The OIST Internship 2024 will run between October 1st, 2024 – March 31st, 2025. Any student from any country can apply for this prestigious internship program. Researchers from more than 50 countries collaborate across and combine scientific disciplines to pioneer new approaches to discovery and problem-solving.
OIST Internship Summary
- Institution(s): Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST)
- Location: Japan
- Internship Period: Typically from 2 to 6 months
- Internship Deadline: April 15, 2024
Internship Focused Areas
The OIST Research Intern program is available in STEM fields.
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Neuroscience, Mathematics, Computational Science, Environmental, Ecological, and Marine Sciences, Science, Engineering, and Medical.
Interns will work under the supervision of the professor. You can check the name of the professor and the available internship positions here.
OIST Internship Benefits
OIST will provide below benefits to their interns:
- Internship Allowance: JPY 2,400/Day (Working Day)
- Commuting Allowance: OIST Shuttle Bus Pass
- Travel Expenses: One direct round-trip air ticket
- Accommodation: Furnished apartment on or off campus
- Visa Support: OIST will also assist in visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration.
OIST Internship Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria for an OIST internship:
- Required Languages: English
- Eligible Countries: All world countries
- Students who are in the final 2 years of the undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or graduates of such institutions.
- Currently enrolled students must have approval from their home institution. The academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
- Research Interns who belong to a Japanese university/institution are required to prepare and bring their insurance when accepted to the OIST Research Internship program. Acceptable insurances are the combination of Gakkensai and Gakkenbai, or other insurances with similar coverage.
How to Apply for an OIST Internship?
- Applications to the program must be made through the online form.
- You can only submit your application after at least one recommendation letter is received in the application system.
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from @oist.jp domain.)
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- The result announcement will be posted on your application platform 3 months after the application deadline. You will receive a notification when the result is posted. (In some cases, applicants’ email services/settings prevent receipt of our notifications. Please confirm that your inbox can receive emails from @oist.jp domain.)
- Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for the timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
Required Documents for OIST Internship
1) Statement of purpose
The Statement of Interest form is provided on the online application form.
Please write a 400-word (2500 characters) statement including the following points:
- How do OIST and your desired research unit(s) fit with your current expertise and skill set? If you are interested in multiple research units, please explain your interest and fit for each briefly within one single statement.
- What do you hope to accomplish at OIST?
- How does a research internship at OIST fit into your overall career plans/aspirations?
2) Academic Transcript and Diploma
Scanned copies of your current academic transcript and any other transcript from your past degree (BSc, MSc, etc.)
Diploma (BSc, MSc, etc.) in PDF format (if applicable)
- A scan of an unofficial transcript or other record of grades may be uploaded to the application website.
- English explanation is required for transcripts that are not written in English.
- If you have not graduated and do not have a diploma yet, please upload a certificate of enrolment from your institution (which preferably indicates your expected graduation date)
3) Recommendation Letter
A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required. Each applicant is required to have at least one and no more than three letters of recommendation from appropriate recommenders. The application system will ask your recommenders directly for the letter(s), using the email contact details that you provide in the web application form. Please obtain the consent of your referee before submitting their details in the form. We do not accept any letters via email from applicants. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when OIST receives a recommendation letter.
4) ID Photo
Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation.
To learn more about the OIST Internship, please visit the official website: