|Deadline: June 30, 2020||Institution(s): United Nations|
|Level of Study: Internship||Location: New York, USA|
Human Resources Internship at United Nations Office USA:
The world looks to the United Nations (UN) for solutions to complex problems. The 40,000 staff work to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations and promote social progress, better living standards and human rights. To be effective in solving the world’s problems, the United Nations needs a diverse workforce contributing to these solutions. The Office of Human Resources fosters a dynamic, adaptable, mobile workforce, with the highest level of competence and integrity, to effectively and efficiently serve the mandates of the Organization.
The internship position is located in the Staffing Diversity and Outreach Section within the Office of Human Resources (OHR), Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC). The Staffing Diversity and Outreach Section plays a vital role in bringing staff of high caliber into the Organization. It develops strategies and initiatives aimed at building a diverse workforce across the Organization and coordinates Organization-wide efforts to increase geographical and regional diversity across all departments, offices and missions. It supports the Secretary-General’s system-wide strategy on gender parity and promotes access to opportunities by persons with disabilities by undertaking targeted outreach campaigns to draw upon the broadest pool of candidates for Secretariat positions. The integration of social media platforms, including social networking tools—such as Facebook, Twitter, Weibo and WeChat—forms a critical component of the section’s communications strategies.
The UN offers an exciting diverse and inclusive workplace. This internship provides a unique opportunity to work with colleagues of diverse background to solve a variety of problems. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join the Organization. If you are selected, you will join a global intern cohort and make a real impact by working on challenging and rewarding projects.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office where they are assigned.
Internship Focused Areas:
- Human Resources
From 2 Months to 6 Months.
The OHR internship is for minimum two months with an opportunity for extension to no longer than six months, depending on the needs of the department.
Human Resources Internship at United Nations Office USA is UNPAID and full-time.
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria for Human Resources Internship at United Nations Office USA:
- Required Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this position fluency in English is required, knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Eligible Countries: All World Countries
- Responsibilities: The Office of Human Resources (OHR) is seeking a passionate young person who is an innovative doer and thinker and interested in making a difference for a better world. Within delegated authority, the Disability Inclusion intern may be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops content for Organization’s social media channels and system-wide initiatives;
- Analyzes documents and shares lessons learned;
- Builds capacity for disability inclusion;
- Assists with design of training and workshops;
- Makes documents accessible;
- Assists with design of surveys and preparation of reports;
- Compiles data for Disability and Inclusion metrics and dashboards;
- Creates graphically engaging presentations and materials;
- Participates in organizing and setting up for special events (information sessions, career development forums, university visits, etc.) as necessary;
- Takes on other special projects as assigned.
On completion of the internship, the successful candidate will have gained:
- An excellent understanding of the UN Secretariat, its structure and its ongoing human resources management reform;
- Valuable experience in human resources;
- Knowledge of the challenges of human resources management in a multicultural environment and in an inter-governmental organization;
- An understanding of staff selection processes, especially recruitment and outreach strategies;
- Design and writing skills for public information and communications in an international context;
- Extensive exposure to managers and staff members of the UN Secretariat and the UN System.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology..
- Education:To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants at the time of application must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) in journalism, communications, human development, psychology, sociology, disability inclusion, international relations, human resources or related field; or
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in a and b above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation;
- If pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages, have completed at least four years of full time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree in journalism, communications, human development, psychology, sociology, disability inclusion, international relations, human resources or related field;
- Be computer literate in standard word processing and software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel or similar and proficient in standard office automation equipment scanner, printer, etc.).
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Applicants at the time of application must meet one of the following requirements:
How to Apply for Human Resources Internship at United Nations Office USA?
Please follow the following application instructions to win Human Resources Internship at United Nations Office USA:
Create an account on the United Nations Portal from here.
Fill in your profile.
Search for the internship and apply for it.
- A completed online application (Cover Letter and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- The Cover Letter must include:
•Title of degree you are currently pursuing;
•Graduation date (when you will be graduating from the program);
•Explanation of your interest in the United Nations Internship Program;
•Experience in drafting targeted communications, conducting data analysis, including visualizing and validating data, and using social media;
•Explanation of why you think you are the best candidate for this role;
- In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, communications and data analysis related experience, software used, and three references.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
To know more about Human Resources Internship at United Nations Office USA, please visit official website: