ECTRIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Exchange Program is open to international students from all over the world who are interested to undertake postdoctoral research in Neuroscience and Multiple Sclerosis. The objective of the program is to maximize the exchange of information and to help build a pool of well-trained research scientists focused on MS issues. Initially, it is expected that several fellowships will be awarded each year.
- The ECTRIMS Research Fellowship is a research-oriented experience. Prospective fellows must identify and present a cogent basic, clinical or applied research project to be undertaken during the fellowship period, in cooperation with the fellowship mentor at the host institution.
- Applicants pursuing a study fellowship experience in any MS-related research subject (basic, applied or clinical, in any appropriate specialty region) will be considered.
- Level of Study: Postdoctoral
- Institution(s): ECTRIMS
- Study in: Europe
- Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Program Period:
- Fellowships of one or two years duration will be available.
- Fellowships of a shorter duration than one year will be considered only under special circumstances, which must be detailed in the application process.
- Deadline: December 1, 2022
ECTRIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- The fellowship will provide an annual stipend of €55,000 for all fellows.
- ECTRIMS will also provide economy round-trip transportation from the successful candidate’s home location to the training site; travel expenses for family members cannot be provided.
- Payment from ECTRIMS will be made to the host institution, which will be considered the employer of the fellow. Stipends will be paid by the host institution to the fellow according to the institution’s own payment policies and schedules. Travel expenses for relocation to the training site can be reimbursed directly to the fellow, upon submission of receipts to ECTRIMS.
- The ECTRIMS award must be used by the institution to pay the fellow’s stipend (“salary”) at the appropriate rate for the fellow’s stage of training. Should there be any remaining funds, the remainder of the award can be used to support institutional social benefits (health care coverage, pension, other benefits) that may be required by the institution.
- If the total stipend plus benefits exceeds the amount provided by the ECTRIMS award, it is the responsibility of the institution/ mentor to supplement the ECTRIMS award to cover the entire required costs.
- The expected fellow’s total salary, as well as the expected fellow’s total social benefits costs per year, have to be indicated by the host institution.
- If the annual or prorated ECTRIMS award is not sufficient for the total required costs of the fellow (salary plus benefits), additional sources of funding that will be used to cover the total costs have to be listed.
- It is expected that the actual research to be undertaken at the host institution will be supported by the host institution/ mentor.
No additional support for travel, books, journal subscriptions, etc. will be provided.
- Fellows will be expected to attend annual ECTRIMS Congresses during the term of their fellowship and to make a presentation (at a young researcher’s section or elsewhere) on their funded research. ECTRIMS will separately support travel and accommodations for congress participation.
Eligibility Criteria for ECTRIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
To be eligible for ECTRIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Required Languages: As per the requirements of the host institution.
- Eligible Countries: All world countries
- Candidates must have received their advanced degree(s) prior to initiation of the fellowship.
- At the time of application fellows should have no more than one year of prior postdoctoral training at the same host institution/mentor. More senior candidates may have no more than 5 years total of postdoctoral experience beyond their final degree (PhD, MD, ScD or equivalent) at the time of application.
- Scientists and physicians who hold or are candidates for an MD, PhD, ScD or equivalent professional degree are eligible.
- In general, successful applicants will be less than 40 years of age at the time of application; exceptions under special circumstances will be considered.
- Candidates and their mentors must affirm that there will be no language barriers that will impede the training experience.
- Citizens of any country are eligible to apply to this program; however, postdoctoral research training must be undertaken in a European laboratory or clinic.
- After the fellowship period, it is desirable, but not required, for the fellow to return to his/her original home institution for employment, to the extent possible. Post-fellowship career plans should be detailed as part of the application process.
How to Apply for ECTRIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship?
Please follow below steps to apply for ECTRIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Exchange Program:
(1) Press the “Apply Now” and Create an account.
(2) Fill the application form.
(3) The fellowship application should include the following documents:
- An abbreviated curriculum vitae and bibliography of the applicant, not to exceed 5 pages. You must use the form “biographical sketch” provided by ECTRIMS, available in the online fellowship application system.
- A completed on-line application, available from the ECTRIMS web site (www.ectrims.eu).
- Applicant’s career plans (not to exceed one page).
- A research project abstract summary, to be no longer than 250 words.
- A research project description, to be no longer than 6 pages, including figures, tables and references.
- Applicant’s proof (e.g. certificate) of local language knowledge.
(4) The following additional items must be submitted electronically to email@example.com by 1 December. These should be submitted as confidential documents and should NOT be submitted with the materials requested in Second Step. Please be sure to ask referees to clearly identify the NAME of the applicant on all pages of his/her letters.
- From the training institution:
1) Letter of support from the department chair (or other relevant institutional official) at the proposed host institution accepting the proposed fellow, should a fellowship be awarded.
2) Certification from the training institution accepting the terms of the ECTRIMS fellowship and payments. The necessary form is available from the online application system; the applicant should forward this form to the institution for completion and return to ECTRIMS.
- From the proposed mentor: Letter of endorsement of the proposed mentor, with special reference to interactions he/she has had with the proposed fellow and to the proposed research plan. An abbreviated current curriculum vitae and bibliography for the proposed mentor, not to exceed 5 pages, should be included. The form “biographical sketch” provided in the online fellowship application system should be used. The applicant should send this form to the mentor.
- From other referees: At least three letters of reference from professionals acquainted with the proposed fellow, from his/her home institution or elsewhere, that addresses the fellow’s qualities and likelihood for success in a research and/or clinical career. One of these letters should be submitted from the degree mentor for the proposed fellow. If applicable, a letter from the home institution indicating that the fellow will be welcomed back to the institution and the nature of the position that will be available, once the fellowship period has been concluded.
To know more about ECTRIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, please visit official website: