If you are looking to study in Germany with a scholarship then this is a great opportunity for you. In this article, we will explain in detail about DAAD scholarship, its benefits, and the step-by-step application procedure.
DAAD Scholarship 2024-2025 is a fully funded scholarship for international students. This scholarship is available to pursue masters or PhD at the top German Universities. DAAD scholarships cover monthly payments of 934 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates.
Well-trained experts, who are networked with international partners, play an important part in the sustainable development of their countries. They are the best guarantee for a better future with less poverty, more education, and health for all. With its development-oriented postgraduate study programs, the DAAD promotes the training of specialists from developed and newly industrialized countries.
The scholarships offer foreign graduates from developed and newly industrialized countries from all disciplines the chance to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognized German university, and in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
DAAD Scholarship 2024 Summary
- Level of Study: Doctoral (PhD) / Masters
- Institution: DAAD
- Study in: Germany
- Courses Offered:
- Economic Sciences, Law
- Agricultural and Forest Sciences
- Art, Design
- Engineering and Natural Sciences
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Language and Cultural Studies
- Mathematics, Natural Sciences
- Medicine, Health Sciences
- You can also see the complete list of available Postgraduate Courses.
- Program Period: Between 12 and 36 months depending on the length of the chosen study program.
- DAAD Scholarship Deadline: Depending on the chosen study program; please check deadlines here.
DAAD Scholarship Coverage
DAAD Scholarship 2024 for Masters and PhD Germany provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 934 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates.
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- Payments towards health, accident, and personal liability insurance cover.
- One-off study allowance.
Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of the family
Eligibility Criteria for DAAD Scholarship 2024
To be eligible for DAAD Scholarship 2024 for Masters and PhD Germany, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Required Languages: English or German.
- For international programs, the language of instruction is English. You are usually required to submit an English language certificate e.g. TOEFL or IELTS.
- For other programs, the language of instruction is German. You are usually required to submit a German language certificate e.g. DSH or TestDaF.
- Eligible Countries: Click here for a list of eligible developing countries.
- Candidates have a Bachelor’s degree (usually a four-year course) or Master’s degree in an appropriate subject.
- Candidates have at least two years of professional experience.
- Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship.
How to Apply for the DAAD Scholarship 2024?
To apply for the DAAD Scholarship for a Master and PhD in Germany please follow the following step-by-step application procedure:
Can you Apply for more than one course under the DAAD scholarship?
You can apply for up to three courses. If applying to more than one course, please list courses in order of priority in the DAAD application forms (see 7. Choice of host university/institution in Germany), and do not change the priorities in the application form!
Required Documents for DAAD Scholarship 2024
- Signed DAAD application form with current date
- Personally signed CV (please use the sample europass form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/) with the current date
- Personally signed Letter of Motivation (concerning current occupation and choice of postgraduate program(s), two pages maximum) with the current date.
IMPORTANT: When applying for more than one postgraduate course (maximum 3 courses), you have to submit one motivation letter explaining why you are applying for these specific courses and why you chose that priority.
- Letter of recommendation from your current employer; the letter must have letterhead, a signature, and an official stamp and must be of current date (not in a sealed envelope)
- Certificate(s) of Employment from the employer(s) that proves a minimum of two years of relevant working experience (after the bachelor’s degree) at the time of application and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment from your current employer upon returning home.
- Proof of Language Skills:
- English – IELTS or TOEFL (Note: The institutional TOEFL is not accepted)
- German – Required for courses taught in German
- Copies of Academic Degrees (certified translation if necessary)
- Copies of Academic Transcripts, including grading scale (certified translation if necessary)
- Applicants from the People’s Republic of China are asked to submit an APS Certificate with their application documents.
Note: Some courses may require additional documents. For detailed information, please see the relevant course description in the Brochure and on the respective websites. The complete applications have to be submitted in English or German to be considered.
Step-by-Step Application and Selection Procedure for DAAD Scholarship
- Choose suitable courses of your interest. (You can apply for a maximum of three courses)
- Apply to universities offering those courses.
- You send your complete application(s) (with the above documents) directly to the universities.
- A selection committee suggests potential candidates for a DAAD scholarship.
- The suggested candidates will be contacted by DAAD to upload their complete application to the DAAD Portal. (The link to the DAAD Portal will be provided by DAAD through email)
- The selection process will be finalized, and the suggested candidates will be informed accordingly.
Make sure that you have a copy of each document of your application ready, as those documents (as PDF files) have to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal in case you are suggested for a DAAD scholarship!
To learn more about DAAD Scholarship 2024 for Masters and PhD Germany, please visit the official website:
Why Study in Germany?
Why is Germany a great study destination? Located in the heart of Europe and without tuition fees, find out why Germany could be the perfect place to get your degree abroad.
1. Quality institutions
Germany is the most popular non-English-speaking study destination in the world and has some of the best-ranked universities in Western Europe. In 2020, the Times Higher Rankings placed LMU Munich in 29th position in the world, Heidelberg University in 37th place, and Humboldt University of Berlin in 49, while many other institutions are listed after 100.
Recognized for the Quality of its latest-generation teaching and facilities, the German Government is also very dedicated to higher education. German state funds research projects are carried out every year, which allows students to carry out their projects and cutting-edge research.
2. There are no tuition fees
You may have dreamed of studying in Europe, but you are worried about how you will finance your studies. Germany may be the right place for you! Studying undergraduate in Germany is FREE. Yes, you read it right! Even as an international student, you don’t have to pay fees or tuition fees, because in Germany the registrations are free of charge.
In fact, at the end of your undergraduate studies at a German university you can be chosen to pursue a postgraduate degree that is also free. Without tuition fees, you can save extra money for accommodation, study material, socialization, and know nearby places.
3. Job Opportunities
After graduation, international students can stay up to 18 months in Germany to look for a job, a generous amount of time compared to many other European countries, such as the United Kingdom, where they can be three months after graduation. In 2020, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) reported that about 50% of international students reside in the country after graduation, reflecting the appetite and demand to remain in the nation to work.
Universities also have excellent links with companies, which gives them an advantage in the search for internships or placements. According to the results of the Times Higher Education’s Global Employability University Ranking,
4. Quality of life
Life as a student in Germany is undoubtedly impressive. Most major German cities such as Berlin, Munich, and Hamburg are centers of culture, art, and music. There is so much to see and do, no matter what your interests, this is the perfect place to be a curious international student.
If you are interested in sports, politics, history, or art, you will find your niche market and a crowd with similar interests to yours. Due to a strong economy and infrastructure, it has reliable, safe, and fast public transport, which means that moving is very easy. During the day you can explore the impressive architecture, medieval castles, and parks and at night enjoy the great life in the main cities.
5. International environment
Germany is a breeding ground for students and international multiculturalism. With so many university studies taught in English and no tuition fees, international students from all over the world are naturally attracted to the country. Last year, more than 300,000 international students studied in the nation, and that amount is expected to increase even more. It is also located in the heart of Western Europe which allows easy access and travel to other countries in the area, where you can discover new cultures and visit places of interest.
What are you waiting for? Start your study adventure in Germany today!